Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The 1221 Angelstar

I lived in Phoenix for about four months and decided to go back to Minnesota before my funds ran out. I was expecting my profit sharing from the job I had quit and I got to thinking about buying an Angelstar. I contacted the manufacturer and inquired about a smaller lower-priced Angelstar. Michael, the creator of the Angelstar, asked me about my price range. I told him $170 was my limit. Then he asked me about my preference for artwork and I told him that the sun design at the bookstore really resonated with me. He said “that is an Angelstar 12; it is for sale, and retails for $360. I am willing to go down on the price if you would like to consider buying it.” “I sure would” I replied. He said he would think it over for while and he would call me back. After two hours or so had passed I called him to see if he arrived at a decision. He said that he could let it go for $200 and it that would cost $100 for shipping & packaging for a total of $210. I thought to myself Hmmm…. How strange is this??? An Angelstar 12, for 210 Dollars! This was more than I wanted to pay and my frugal and practical side of me resisted, but when I thought about the effect that the Angelstar had on me and the fact that my numbers were embedded within it I simply could not resist. So I bought it.

Note: This device and what it ended up reflecting symbolically to me many years later is profound. How this all unfolded could definitely be classified as high strangeness!

No comments: